The Shopping Mama™ was founded by Kate Marsh Lord in January of 2009 to share the latest and greatest in gear, clothes and toys for kids. After graduating law school and moving around the world with her Air Force husband, Kate settled down and had three beautiful little ones. The children changed her online motivation from researching legal issues to tracking down the best in everything for kids from strollers to monogrammed onesies. Kate is proud to partner with several brands as an ambassador and has blogged around the web on Bravado Designs and The BabyCenter Blog.
In 2010, Kate expanded The Shopping Mama™ team to include additional reviewers and writers to meet the growing demand and expectations of an expanding audience. The Shopping Mama has grown to “[O]ne of the more successful online ‘mommy blogs’ that review new children’s products and swap ideas with other young mothers across the country.” (Financial Times, May 2010)
The Shopping Mama is the online destination for moms who want to be in style and in the know.
If you are looking to partner with The Shopping Mama™ blog, please email Kate at theshoppingmama(at)gmail(dot)com for a current Media Kit. We look forward to working with you.
The original Shopping Mama who aims to keep moms in style and in the know.
5 Fun Facts about Kate:
1. Kate went to a women’s college and would love for her daughter to experience a single sex education experience, too.
2. Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio, Kate is a fierce Ohio State Buckeyes fan. O-H!
3. During law school (and before the responsibility of providing actual food for a family), Kate survived on a diet of Mike & Ikes and Baked Lay’s.
4. Kate and her family love to travel and have visited 11 counties in the last year and a half.
5. She is borderline “Hoarders” material as she develops an unnatural attachment to all baby gear and children’s clothing her family has the pleasure of using.
MEET THE TEAM
Laura is mommy to Charlie, who was born in April 2011. If you are in Philadelphia and spot a woman on the bus who is balancing an active toddler and the largest canvas tote that L.L. Bean makes, you’ve probably spotted her. Always up for a challenge, Laura enjoys her day job as a fundraiser, cooking healthy meals at home for her family, and her new workout hobby – running.
Five Fun Facts about Laura:
1. She loves to cook but has a crazy, irrational fear of Julia Childs and can’t watch her on TV. That voice!
2. Before becoming a fundraiser in Philadelphia, Laura was an attorney in New York City who specialized in child welfare law.
3. She watched the entire Family Ties series in just a couple days during her maternity leave.
4. Laura was involved with college radio at her alma mater. Her radio alter ego was DJ Sparky and she spun ska and punk rock for two hours each week.
5. Speaking of college, she credits her four years at a well-known women’s college in Massachusetts as the most life-changing experience she’s ever had. (Although being a mom might eventually trump that – check back in two years.)
Amy is still a newlywed, kind of, and is now a new mom to a super cute baby girl. She’s taken an undertermined amount of time away from work as a chef & baker to stay home and soak in every minute she can with her sweet little family. When she isn’t breastfeeding, making homemade babyfood or shopping at local famer’s markets, she enjoys word games, dinner parties, drinking coffee, getting a mani-pedi and playing outdoors with her family and their dog.
Five Fun Facts about Amy:
1. Amy watches Jeopardy religiously and knows way more answers than she should.
2. She’s visited 48 US states, missing only Alaska and North Dakota.
3. She is the middle child and loves it. (Kate is her older sister.)
4. She is obsessed with her Le Creuset cookware collection.
5. Amy was in labor for over four days before asking for an epidural.
Before becoming a mom, Nicole taught high school English and traveled the world with her husband. She now enjoys a life filled with playdates, food being thrown from high chairs, and lots of baby and toddler giggles. She’d have thought you were crazy if you had told her ten years ago that she’d someday be a mom to three boys, including a set of identical twins. She loves doing hands-on learning activities with her little ones, and is always on the look-out for unique, handcrafted toys and ways to “green” and simplify her lifestyle.
Five Fun Facts about Nicole:
1. At any given time, she has at least 12 different tabs open on her internet browser.
2. Nicole was home-schooled through elementary school, swore as a teenager that she’d never home-school her own children, yet is now considering it.
3. She currently has three children in cloth diapers. That’s a lot of diapers.
4. She is a big fan of extended breastfeeding and happily nursed her oldest son for 25 months, taking just one month off before starting all over again with her twin boys.
5. She loves to craft and create handmade toys for her toddler. She was halfway through two Waldorf dolls and a knit teddy bear when her twins arrived early, and she now has three separate torsos and doll heads tucked away in a closet. Because that’s not creepy at all.
Jennie is a military wife with two (almost three) kiddos; Addie, Carter and Lexi Kate. She loves all things preppy, pink, and personalized and runs a small business out of her home called The Preppy Pickle. Before she became a mom she was a journalist and a teacher and she strives to encourage her own children to follow their dreams daily no matter what that dream is.
Five Fun Facts about Jennie:
1. She’s never road a “real” roller coaster (the Elmo one at Busch Gardens and Big Thunder Mountain at Disney don’t count. We’re talking go upside down big drops coasters).
2. She’s lived in the south since 1998 and calls herself a bonafide southern girl complete with a monogram addiction and a love for big bows on little girls.
3. She LOVES college football and cheering on her 3 teams… Baylor, The University of Colorado, and Air Force.
4. She is an avid DIYer and a Craigslist stalker. You never know what kind of furniture she might bring home to redo.
5. She firmly believes home is where the heart is and that it’s important to dive right in when you move and make your new house feel like a home.
Catherine is an Air Force wife living overseas in Germany with a 4 year old little girl and pregnant with a little mister, due in September. She loves taking photographs and documenting her family’s adventures on her blog No Wooden Spoons.
Laura is a Children’s Librarian who devotes special practice to early literacy. She lives in Chelmsford, MA with her husband Sean, and their dog and cat. When she isn’t working or writing, you can find Laura knitting, reading, watching Golden Girls on DVD, or eating green olives straight from the jar.
Maureen is a wife to Curt and a mommy to Ava. Home is where the Air Force sends her family but her roots lie deep in the northeast. She has a black belt in shopping and can’t wait to share fashion tips, steals, and deals with you! Thank you so much for following along here and at The Northeast Girl.